Forum home Wildlife gardening

I Can't Wait for the Fruit Flowers to Come Out to be Feasted on by Pollinators!

pinkskyinthecitypinkskyinthecity Nottinghamshire, England Posts: 70
It gives me tremendous joy when I see my raspberry flowers come out - the bees go mad for them. Give this extra warmth and sunshine it's definitely brought on the foliage. Also, blueberry flowers are very popular too. Unfortunately, my garden isn't big enough for apples, pears etc. I have a young cherry tree that have come into leaf just.  I just want to stay in the garden all day watching the bees make merry with them! Do you get this?!!

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,092
    Lots of bumble bee queens around at the moment so they will be happy to see early blossom. I saw lots of brimstone butterflies on a woodland walk yesterday. Apart from bulbs it is mainly cherry plum and forsythia in flower here but lots of buds awaiting their turn.

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,067
    Yes. But we don't have raspberry flowers at all this time of the year but the damsons and gages are flowering and we hope that the pollinators will be in time before the colder spell comes again.
    The blossom is great to see.
  • pinkskyinthecitypinkskyinthecity Nottinghamshire, England Posts: 70
    Yes. But we don't have raspberry flowers at all this time of the year but the damsons and gages are flowering and we hope that the pollinators will be in time before the colder spell comes again.
    The blossom is great to see.
    Hi,

I didn't mean to come out with saying that my rasp. were already flowering. (Only noticed today that the flower buds have started to come through). Just in general that they create such a heady, lively activity that they seem to go crazy for fruit flowers. It's my favourite time of year to see them working hard to collect their food. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,995
    Unfortunately the poor bees never got a chance to do my plum tree as the cold got to the flowers first I think, they might just get the cherry's blossom as it's just opening but these hard frosts have been hard on fruit trees.
  • EustaceEustace Posts: 538
     these hard frosts have been hard on fruit trees.
    Quite true. Looks like the flowers on the plum trees and gages have been affected by frosts rather than being pollinated.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,995
    Just looked at the twin apple tree and I think their buds will open in the next week. Is it me or are they late?🤔
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 252
    I just checked some photos I took of my plum, cherry and pear blossom from 2018 because I was thinking they seem to be taking their time too, but actually they are at the same level now as they were April 2018.  Plum just about all out, cherry still thinking about it!