Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird baths

B3B3 Posts: 18,677
I've just taken the handle off an old nonstick frying pan to make a bird bath.
I have an old plain metal wok too. Would it do the birds any harm when it rusts?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,355
    That's funny, on the Ken Bruce show I heard someone the other day complaining that they'd finally bought a proper bird bath and yet the birds preferred the old frying pan they'd been 'making do' with. 😅
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • In addition to the 'official masonry birdbath, the avian visitors to my garden also 'rough it' in an upturned rubber dustbin lid, metal ditto and a preformed 3-tier plastic cascade/pool running off a very slow drip/ leak originating from the garden tap! All tastes are catered for with practically no queueing &/or bickering evident!!
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    Is rust ok?
  • gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 258
    We have an old saucepan we use as a bird bath. Hedgehogs and foxes, and possibly local cats all use it too. Its rusty but I make sure the water is fresh and as far as I'm aware no harm has come to any animals. I suspect they wouldn't drink from it if had caused any problems. Animals are generally pretty smart.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    I'll find somewhere for the wok too. Thank you.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,843
    edited 30 March
    I never see birds never use my little pond but they go for the dodgy guttering above it. This is possibly because of the hoard of local cats prowling about.