Forum home Plants

Azalea looking unhealthy.

GraysGrays Posts: 172
Hi all,
We got this Azalea last year and it was extremely healthy, covered in flowers.
So far this year it looks to be dying? The leaves are brown and some are falling off and extremely dry.
Do you think it will recover? Any advice?
Thanks.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,717
    Lack of water, wind burn, have you tried scraping a bit  
     Of bark to see it there is any green underneath
  • GraysGrays Posts: 172
    Hi,
    Yes I've scraped a bit of the bark and it is green underneath.
    Shall I just give it plenty of water and a feed do you think?
    What sort of compost is it in,has it been ok up till now,,?
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    Best to put it into an area with more shade. Keep it well watered too, rain water or filtered tap water. Is it supposed to be an evergreen sort? It could have suffered with the cold snap but they're usually hardy. Was it sold as an outdoor plant? 
    Yes, good points bijdezee,I was just assuming it was an outdoor variety,how tall is it?
  • ddo101ddo101 Posts: 30
    edited March 2021
    Azaleas are acid loving. I've had issues in the past with them and other acid loving plants (including skimmia) when watering with tap water which in my part of London is extremely alkaline.  Might be worth doing a pH test.  Quite easy to adjust if necessary. 
    Without a water butt and rain,how can you adjust the PH  level of water?
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    I think you can add a small amount of white vinegar but I can't remember the ratio. I think i saw it on the Internet so maybe a Google might bring it up, unless anyone else knows?

If you have a Brita water filter that would get rid of some of the hardness. 
  • GraysGrays Posts: 172
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Regarding the compost, I really aren't sure now, think it was just a general compost?
    It is in part shade.
    I have started to water it with rain water, we don't have a water butt, but we do collect water in a plastic container from a crack in the garage guttering, so from now on I will use that, Ive also just given it a feed.
    Apart from that, I guess I will just have to see how it goes, if it doesn't recover then I will just remove it and replace.
    It needs Ericacious compost, ideally a water butt on your garage, Brita filter, these shrubs need a whole large watering can and a really good soak,yes.put it in the shade, keep it soaked, and cross the fingers!