Forum home Plants

Replacing a fence

DedekindDedekind Posts: 172
Hello, 

Sometime this year the fences in our garden will be replaced (two sides are mine, the other side is neighbours who will also change it). 

My question is: can climbers be saved? We have a couple of honeysuckles and roses up. 

Also: I have some new plants that need to be planted soon  (another honeysuckle and a clematis montana). We are not sure when the fence will be replaced yet, could be in 1 month or in 6 months. Would you advise to keep them in pots or just plant them right away and then deal with them later? In the latter case I'd be careful to plant them away from where the fence posts would be so that digging for them is easier. 

• K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    A photo will help but replacing the fence now is the best time before everything grows too much . You can cut honeysuckle and the rose down but will lose flowering.
    It does depend on how big they are and how close they are planted to the fence, 12 inches is best,  
    Your new rose would be fine in a large pot for a few months.
    The Montana is not suitable for a fence though especially if you intend to plant against your neighbours fence with their permission of course.
  • DedekindDedekind Posts: 172
    We actually managed to get a tentative date for our fence replacement next week, so those can wait of course.

Why do you say the Montana is not suitable for a fence? What is it suitable for? I was hoping to put it in the back fence (ours), and prune it after flowering to keep it reasonable, but may have to think otherwise.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,920
    Clematis Montana can get big 

https://botanyphoto.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/2009/06/clematis_montana_var_wilsonii/

They don’t all get as big as that ... but they’re not really suitable for a fence. 

Spring flowering clematis suitable for fences include the alpina group

This is quite an unusual one as it has brighter green leaves so it still had impact even when the flowers are over 
    https://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-stolwijk-gold.html

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Wow that tree looks beautiful :)

So you are saying I won't be able to keep it manageable even with yearly pruning?

I don't really have a thuja to use for support..
  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    As Dove says they get big!
    Their purpose is to reach 20 to 30 ft and although you can cut back after flowering each May it seems such a shame to cut them off at the knees every year.

• BiljeBilje Posts: 796
    I've had a Clematis Montana on a fence for 25 # years on a 6 foot high fence probably spread 20 feet. Yes it has to be managed but if you're prepared to cut  the top growth back after flowering every couple of years it's worth it. The full fence which was 35 years old had to be replaced in Nov 2019 the Clematis was cut off at ground level....it has fully recovered! 
    Thanks everyone. Yeah the new fence will have trellis panels at the top and I plan to add wires as well.