Forum home Wildlife gardening

Feeling sad

This beautiful redwing flew into our window this evening. I placed it in a box and kept it somewhere quite so that I hoped it would be okay. In one respect it had not suffered any terrible injuries. which you do see when this sort of incident happens. My husband was going to call the Wildlife London people, but I thought that the Redwing was possibly moving coming around after being stunned. So I gently held it, but it was obvious that it was struggling to breath, and then it sadly passed away in my hands. I was so upset, crying and blaming myself for this to happen. This is the first time this year that we have had a lot of redwings in the garden, so beautiful. I have loving buried it in our garden with some pansies around it. RIP One of natures beautiful birds. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,729
    You treated it with great respect, which is to your credit.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,698
    A beautiful bird,  i would be sad too.
    Sorry it's upset you 🤗 you can get stickers of birds of prey to put on large windows which deters birds flying that direction
  • HeliosHelios Posts: 127
    So sad but it’s not your fault, Jacqueline, you did the very best you could for it. A beautiful little bird.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 328
    To echo others you gave it respect and comfort. Under other circumstances it could for example have been getting pecked at /played with/ mauled by other birds or a cat in its last hours.  Accidents happen and you aren't to blame.