Forum home Tools and techniques

Miracle grow plant food

I bought some Miracle grow soluble plant food and was wondering how long it takes to dissolve in a watering can. Has anybody used it? I was thinking of putting a load in my Waterbutt and letting it dissolve wholesale and then using it from that. I’d make sure I used up all the water in one go as I wouldn’t want any nutrient enriched water ending up going down the drain if it rained and refilled the butt before I had used it all. 

Thanks, Joe

• B3B3 Posts: 21,439
    Do you know if it keeps?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • joe.shimminjoe.shimmin Posts: 204
    I’m not sure what you mean? 
    I was going to put it in the waterbutt and use it all up in one go so it wouldn’t be hanging round. I can just imagine dissolving it each time in a watering can might take ages and thought that dissolving a load of it all in one go might save time.
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,439
    edited March 2021
    Will it go off or lose efficacy? I see what you  mean now. I'd mix it into a strong solution with a bit of water and then stir it in.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,857
    I stick it  in the bottom of the watering can and by the time the can is filled with water it has dissolved.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Brilliant, thanks guys, Joe
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,872
    I always use that one, fill watering can then add and beat with a stick, dissolves straight away.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 6,414
    Unless you seal the water butt so no more water gets in to dilute the solution, your suggestion simply won't work.  It takes a couple of seconds to put a scoop of Miracle Grow into the watering can and you have a consistent solution to work with.
    No problem. I just thought it might take a while to dissolve. As it dissolves straight away I’ll just use the watering can. Thanks 🙏