Forum home The potting shed

Shrub/plant recommendation please.

I should be grateful if anyone can suggest a suitable plant for a corner of a raised bed that is bounded on two sides by wall and is south facing.  It will get more sun as the sun climbs higher over the surrounding rooftops.  Ideally I would like a plant that grows to above shed roof level but does not spread out, is hardy, is attractive to pollinators and has flowers in the purple through to pink spectrum.  I had thought of a buddleja but I haven't the room for a bushy, spready plant so I am a bit stumped.
Thank you.

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 626
    Amelanchier Obelisk meets some of your conditions, but has white flowers.
    I have one growing in a similar corner position.
    Sunny Dundee
  • anniedtanniedt Posts: 85
    Thank you for the suggestion.  It does sound attractive but I think it may want to grow too bushy for. my small bed.
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 626
    Mine is about 4 years old. It is about 10ft tall, and no more than 2ft wide at the most.
    Obelisk is a fastigiate growing Amelanchier, not the bushy type.
    Sunny Dundee
    Thank you. I will certainly consider this plant.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,449
    My Amelanchier alnifolia ‘Obelisk’ was planted back in 2014. Today it is reaches a height of 3.60 m and a spread of 1.20 m. I expect it has more or less reached its maturity height. It's quite easy to cut side branches (if needed only) but I confirm that it has a natural fastigiate habit. It has a lovely but very short flowering period in April, and an even shorter but lovely Autumn foliage. More pics on my garden site here.

Amelanchier alnifolia ‘Obelisk’ in April 2020. Close-up
    Amelanchier alnifolia ‘Obelisk’ in April 2020. In a corner of my garden, in front of the pergola.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    Thank you for the photos but my small bed is I think too small for this tree. Thank you for the suggestion.