Forum home Plants

Moth orchid buds shriveling up

Hi all

I have been watching my moth orchid (Phalenopsis) gradually grow new flowering stems and buds with great anticipation for several months, but over the last week or so, just as the buds looked nearly ready to open, they have started going shriveled.  One fell off at the the slightest touch and at least two others are shriveling and looking like they will drop off too.  It has flowered succesfully in the past with no problems.  I am desperate not to lose all the flowers.  Any ideas what might be causing it or what I can do to fix it greatly appreciated.

• FireFire Posts: 18,983
    Welcome to the forum. Have you recently moved the pot or changed its routine? The stems look as if they are just starting out and you have at least flower bud so it seems the plant was happy until recently. Consider taking the inner pot out of the outer so that light can get to the roots. Check it's not sitting in water. It's more likely to be over-watering that is hurting the plant than under watering. They like moist air conditions  - so, not near a radiator. Leave off the water for a while. Make sure they ahve sunlight but not scorching bright sunshine. They should be planted in special orchid bark (not earth or moss).

Orchids are a plant of the long game. If you lose these flowers you will have more. So don't worry too much.
  • Thanks Fire 
    I haven't moved them or changed anything recently, apart from more regular watering now we are in spring not winter.  Had watered after about 7-10 days this month.  I shall try taking inner pot out of outer
    Orchid growers recommend watering according the weight of the pot, rather than on a strict schedule. You get to know when to water, as the pot gets very light. The needs of the plant will change so much over the year. It's better that way. Mine are in big pots but I only water about once a month (or when the pots get light).
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,662
    We had a similar problem with one of ours.
    We noticed as well that the leaves were becoming very limp.
    Decided to look at what was happening with the roots that were still in the compost.
    DEAD!!!
    Thankfully the arial ones were still ok and it was repotted and now the plant is showing good leaf growth and the flowers are opening.
    Worth checking what is going on under the compost.
  • thanks for your comments. This is what the roots and growing medium look like. The roots are green at the bottom and grey at the top, greener than it looks in this photo
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,717
    I water mine on a draining board,  so there are never sitting in water,weekly at the moment,feed when the are in flower,they don't like central heating or direct sunlight or dry air
    I would keep the clear pot on a plate and pick off the shrivelled flower heads. Keep a close eye on the flower buds and see what happens.

I have my orchids by my kitchen sink and occasionally they have caught the edge of spray cleaner. Is it possible those buds got caught by a little spray polish or the like? 
  • Fire said:
    I would keep the clear pot on a plate and pick off the shrivelled flower heads. Keep a close eye on the flower buds and see what happens.

I have my orchids by my kitchen sink and occasionally they have caught the edge of spray cleaner. Is it possible those buds got caught by a little spray polish or the like? 
    No I don’t think they have got any spray or anything on them