Forum home Plants

Needs some advice on plant quantities

Hi all! I am a complete novice so wanted some advice on plant quantities to fill 4 planters with the following size and also fertiliser/ soil quantities? 

Length (top): 80cm
Width (top): 20.5cm
Height: 17.5cm
Length (base): 73cm
Width (base): 13cm

All I want is flowers that attract butterflies to go with a buddleia I have out the front of my house 😊

Also as a side question, if I trimmed the buddleia down now would it stop it from flowering? 

Many thanks! 

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 579
    Don't know about the quantities you need but I see no reason why you shouldn't trim the buddleia now. Not as hard as you normally would but certainly trim it. It flowers on new wood.
  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    There are online calculators for soil quantities.
    https://www.topsoilshop.co.uk/topsoil-calculator?gclid=CjwKCAjwr_uCBhAFEiwAX8YJga1Fjcz50mh9r_pXaIdmhT5iALmjwDGySBL5J8s7Q_4ob7gXSjMl2RoCGiMQAvD_BwE
    As to planrs it depends what they are and how much they spread.
    I do remember looking at one website that gacpve you how many to the metre but as I can't remember which one that's not very helpful, sorry.
    Do need to know whether these beds are sun, shade or both.
  • Ah great I shall have a look at that calc. They will be south facing with no shade so they will get late afternoon/ evening sun 😊
  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    Again many lists on line but I can recommend lavender which does need sun and geranium Rozanne which is happier in my garden with some shade.  It's a spreader so would fill one planter completely in time but it does flower for months often up to November.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,689
    To fill it out fairly quickly, probably 2-3 large perennials / small shrubs (e.g. lavender). Or 5 small perennials.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour".