Forum home Garden design

Any advice welcome!

We need some ideas on how to improve our garden. What should we do with our patio? Decking? Tiles? Any ideas welcome

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,670
    Clear away all the crud and pots then clean the slabs.   It will make a huge difference.

Then decide what you want to do with it - seating/dining/coffee breaks/sunbathing.  
    Much depends on which way it faces and where you are as that determines the amount of sun and exposure it gets. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,396
    First of all clear the patio. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • katrinkskatrinks Posts: 4
    Thanks! It’s east facing so we are thinking dining. It’s an odd shape with the square as crazy paving. It’s not a flat surface
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,670
    Then clear it and clean it and consider relaying flat and maybe more square.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,546
    add some more pictures with small file sizes
  • Looking at this as a whole, I can see that some of the slabs have paint stains and others appear to be damaged. Also the area that is currently paved seems small (unless your pots are really large!). I agree with others that you need to take up the existing paving, level and make a proper foundation, then relay. But I also think it would be a really good idea to approach this systematically, for example by using garden planning software, so that you think about the way you would like to use the garden overall before you decide on the size, shape and also position of the paved area. The bit of lawn behind suggests it may be quite a shady garden. If you're going to have to intervene to this extent, perhaps have a think about whether you want to keep the main paved area where it is, too, and where you want all the other bits to go.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,116
    I think it needs to be larger, flat and cleaner; probably needs totally relaying.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,099
    I think I counted 57 pots but only about 3 containing cultivated plants. That gives you a clue where to start.
  • katrinkskatrinks Posts: 4
    Super useful thanks! You are right we will relay the slabs and make the crazy paving into slabs 180x180. That square can then be for dinning. I’m not sure if we would leave it all as slabs or add decking to the square or all the way to the wall?