Forum home Plants

Cherry plum sparrow damage

B3B3 Posts: 27,305
I've accepted that I'll never see much blossom as the sparrows eat the buds but this year, they're at the leaf buds too.
The bottom growth is lush, the top is OK but the middle is pretty much bald.
I know it's not the ideal time to prune but could I remove some of the top growth to encourage growth in the middle?
If I leave it and the sparrows eventually lose interest, will the middle sprout again?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• didywdidyw Posts: 3,528
    We have hedges of this and yes, the sparrows love to eat the buds.  We pruned last autumn and won't prune again now until after the nesting season.  One year we pruned back really hard and it came back better than before, so you might want to try that.  
    Gardening in East Suffolk on dry sandy soil.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,305
    Thanks @didyw. There's no nests but it's right next to neighbour's bird feeder so they eat my buds while they're waiting their turn and then come back to make deposits😒
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,382
    You're lucky B3, I've got pigeons eating the buds on my cherry tree - and they're also too fat and heavy for the branches!
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,305
    Yes. That's worse😟
  • LG_LG_ Posts: 4,345
    It's the parakeets thst make short work of all the cherry plum buds here. Though the pigeons and goldfinches have a good go too.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • FireFire Posts: 18,951
    That might explain why I've never had blossom from apple and crab apple trees. I have more or less given up in despair. What the point in having them if you never get blossom or fruit?
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,654
    Not only sparrows but pigeons, crows, great tits and blackbirds...all on the bushes/trees taking the flowers.
    Didn't use to happen with us but started last year.
    Wonder why they have suddenly here decided to take the blossom.
    Last year the sparrows took the primrose flowers of all our plants....and we have a huge number. Are they after the pollen/nectar?