Forum home Plants

Dahlia help - keep indoor a bit longer or move to cold frame?

SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 242
A dahlia beginner, among many other plants, I potted up a recent order and they are doing very well in the bathroom. However there is only a skylight and I worry they'll grow leggy, so is it safe to move them to a cold frame? I do not have a green house, but shelving with a heavy duty growhouse cover. I live in south west London (for USD purposes)

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    Bearing in mind where you live I would, you can always cover them with bubble wrap if it's going to be cold going to be cold,well done for inginuity,talk about thinking outside the box,I live in the south east UK,I leave a lot in the ground and mulch them in autumn, they look great
    You can pinch the tops out and use them for more cuttings to pot on
  • SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 242
    Thank you @Nanny Beach for your response.
    Dahlia pots have been duly moved outside in the cold frame to slow down growth. I also think I will chance leaving them outside overwinter when the time comes with plenty of mulch and straw.
    I bring a few of the more expensive ones one, like Sir Alf Ramsey, which is dinner plate, and was expensive.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,977
    I would bring them in at night to begin with, they have very tender looking leaves there.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,021
    Jesus they're well on.
  • TheVanguardTheVanguard Posts: 128
    Leaving mine in for another couple of weeks
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 608
    Mine aren't doing anything yet! Or at least the new ones aren't - although they are in an unheated lean to and in cold frames rather than indoors proper. Some of the ones that have been outside all winter in pots are showing a smidgeon of green.
  • SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 242
    @TheVanguard Yours are looking like they're ready to jump out of the window sill!  :D

@Dirty Harry @Loxley Thank you for your feedback.
    So I brought them back in last night, especially since it was only going to be 2 degrees, and I think I'll use the next 2 weeks to harden them off.

@REMF33 I potted those all on the same day yet they're at very different stages of growth. For sure, the cold is probably slowing yours but then you won't have to worry about getting them leggy.
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 2,188
    Reminds me, I need to prick out my Bishop’s children seedlings this weekend.