Forum home Plants

Dutch iris - will they flower?

Hello, I am a newbie gardener with a new-build garden, in which I planted a border of, among other things, dutch irises and huge purple alliums. The alliums started developing a “flower stalk” some weeks ago, but I can’t see anything yet on the irises,  although the leaves have been up for most of winter. (I planted in October and they came up almost straight away.) Does anyone know whether the flowers tend to just pop out of nowhere and surprise you, or is it more likely I planted them too deep/not deep enough and they won’t flower this year? Thanks in advance for any insight.

• AstroAstro Posts: 431
    The Alliums tend to flower earlier than the Dutch Irises. I think your Irises are as I would expect, they do put up folliage quickly and then appear to be in stasis over winter and through spring. Mine are the same , some newly planted in Autumn and others from prior years.
  • Astro said:
    The Alliums tend to flower earlier than the Dutch Irises. I think your Irises are as I would expect, they do put up folliage quickly and then appear to be in stasis over winter and through spring. Mine are the same , some newly planted in Autumn and others from prior years.
    Thank you - that’s reassuring 👍