Forum home Plants

Old indoor hibiscus

Zeus20Zeus20 Posts: 2
I have a 30 year old hibiscus indoors which is now very woody at the base and I wondered if it would survive if I replanted outdoors. Although I have cut back over the years it is no longer thriving or producing flowers. The plant has a sentimental value but I have some 1 year old cuttings to replace it with.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,006
    No, not frost hardy but if you have cuttings they will be clones so you can afford to ditch the old plant.   

However, I would first try cutting it back hard and then re-potting in good loamy compost such as John Innes no 3 and then keep it in a warm sunny spot and water as needed.  It may well recover.  I have one that's about 10 yrs old now and put it outside every summer but I bring it in when nights start getting down to 10C again.  I keep it trimmed or it can get leggy and woody too and I have a cutting that's heading the same way.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Zeus20Zeus20 Posts: 2
    Thank you for your kind reply.  This is the plant today. It grows well but seems to grow mainly leaves.  I will do as you suggest.  

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,006
    Try feeding it some liquid tomato feed to encourage flowers.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw