Forum home Plants

Poppy plugs?

alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 513
I know poppies are supposed to not like disturbance but have never had much success with direct sowing in general. Has anyone grown poppies in plugs and successfully transplanted? 
Thank you. 

• Following as I have a few oriental plugs I'm growing in the greenhouse and hoping to plant out in a few weeks.
  • alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 513
    Mine are Papaver rhoeas Amazing Grey which do sound amazing if they grow. 
    Best of luck with yours. 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    I have always grown favourite poppies in plug trays [ ordinary ones just get sprinkled ]

Sow as thinly as possible aiming for 1 seed per cell!
    After germination, thin out to 1 per cell.
    Plant out when plant fills the cell.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 513
    Thank you. I will give it a whirl. At least seeds aren't costly if it doesn't work out

• MsCatFlyMsCatFly Posts: 68
    I sowed these Ballerina Poppies the last week in February, not sure if they're ready to be planted out, should I let them grow some more? They don't seem to gave grown much the past week or so.

• debs64debs64 Posts: 5,136
    I grew amazing grey last year they are beautiful. I grew in large 30cm diameter pots one per packet of seeds then planted out the whole contents of the pot once they were growing well and for the first year ever I had poppies! 
  • debs64debs64 Posts: 5,136

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,690
    MsCatFly said:
    I sowed these Ballerina Poppies the last week in February, not sure if they're ready to be planted out, should I let them grow some more? They don't seem to gave grown much the past week or so.

I would grow them on in their pots but they aren't getting enough light. To begin with start putting them out during the day and bringing in at night. After a week or two, preferably timed during a bit of mild weather, you can start leaving them out at night unless there's a bad cold snap.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    If they were mine, I would thin them out to 1 per cell, give them more light, start to harden them off, but not plant them out until each plant fills its cell.
    This is what I do for my special Poppies and it works well.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border