Forum home Garden design

Garden Design software or app

Jack1974Jack1974 WhitstablePosts: 52
Morning All,

We moved into our home in Whitsable just over a year ago, and I've watched the garden over a year, checking out the sun position and learning about the soil etc.

We have a long narrow garden, and I want to find a garden design software that is relatively easy to use.

I know pen and paper is great, and it has been. It's just I want to visualise more with the dimensions, and also working out what we can do with our tricky shape, and make it work for our 3 year old, has some grass, an eating area, and a couple of beds.

Anyone found some good apps? I don't mind if it costs.

Many thanks in advance.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,468
    This question has been asked loads of times (once by me) and I don't think it has been resolved.  Mind you most people wanted a free app.  I'm sure if anyone has found one they will respond but don't be disappointed if you don't get an answer it will only be because no one has found a good one.  Hopefully your question will generate a positive response and will help a load of people on the site.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Jack1974Jack1974 WhitstablePosts: 52
    Thank you for replying. Yes, I did a search before posting, and you're right, there isn't really an answer, yet. Fingers crossed!
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,839
     'Your Garden Made Perfect'  on BBC 2 recently, should still be on I Player. A couple of episodes dealt with long narrow gardens, with very different treatments. Worth a look for some ideas. :)  
  • ga00ga00 Posts: 5
    For your garden beds, have you looked at the Weatherstaff PlantingPlanner (www.plantingplanner.com)? It's not a program for designing the layout of the garden but will generate a planting plan with plants which suit your soil type/ light conditions, etc. If you tick 'family friendly'. it will avoid prickly/ poisonous plants. I'm sure you've already googled 'long, narrow gardens', but there are loads of images/ Pinterest pins to give ideas of what can be done eg splitting up the garden into rooms, using diagonal or curving lines to break up the length. Good luck.
    Hi Buttercupdays and ga00.

Thank you for the above, I will check all three out!

Jack
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 698
    Have a look at the Shoot garden planner, not free has an annual subscription.

Also I think you can still get a free version of Sketchup which is good for scale plans and 3D although not easy to use - takes some time to learn and use all the features but lots of utube videos available.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    Have a look at the Shoot garden planner, not free has an annual subscription.

Also I think you can still get a free version of Sketchup which is good for scale plans and 3D although not easy to use - takes some time to learn and use all the features but lots of utube videos available.

Hi Butterfly, and everyone else looking for software for garden planning.

Thank you very much for the recommendation of Shoot Garden Planner. I checked it out and bought it straight away after watching a few online videos of it is use, and have loved using it over Easter.

For anyone still looking, it is basic enough to understand quickly and also has enough functionality for various garden design uses. I am no expert, but I'd say it is not as slick as some of the CAD options, but does a great job as I do not want to invest my time in learning a heavy duty piece of software.

I am loving it.
  • Captain_ChaosCaptain_Chaos Leicestershire, UKPosts: 60
    I found a link (I think on this site) to Gardena planner. It's free to use and although basic, I'm finding it helpful just to get some ideas of what will fit where.

Not sure if I can post the URL, so apologies if this is not allowed:

https://www.gardena.com/uk/garden-life/garden-planner/
    Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.