Forum home Plants

Geraniums over-wintered

LewisiumLewisium Posts: 122
I over wintered my Geranium from a cutting, I've read they shouldn't be outside until May really. Is there any pruning I should do to encourage side growth even though it has a flower on it now? 

I'm a novice when it comes to Geraniums.... 
Any help would be great. Thanks. 

• It's looking nice and healthy. Keep an eye on weather forecast and be prepared to bring it indoors if frost is likely.

I wouldn't pinch it out just yet but wait a bit longer, then you can pinch out the growing tip and it will produce side branches. 

It is also going to need a much bigger pot quite soon, with good potting compost, and then in a few weeks you'll need to start regular feeds with the watering. Fertilisers for tomatoes, roses and fruit are especially good for them.

The hardest thing is keeping mature plants going, so rooting some new cuttings later may be advisable.
  • LewisiumLewisium Posts: 122
    Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if it had bolted, the cutting was taken from a bedding geranium and it's far taller than what I thought it would be! When you say growing tip, do you mean take the flower stalk off down to the main stem? I'll definitely do geranium cuttings again too.
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 2,406
    I would cut the stem in half and make a new cutting from the upper part (removing the flower bud and a few of the bottom leaves). The bottom part would soon sprout new side shoots. 
    I would cut the stem in half and make a new cutting from the upper part (removing the flower bud and a few of the bottom leaves). The bottom part would soon sprout new side shoots. 
    OK, when do you recommend I do this? 
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 2,406
    Now, if you’re keeping the plant indoors on a sunny windowsill. The cutting doesn’t need direct sunlight, so can be kept in a bright place without direct sun. 
    Now, if you’re keeping the plant indoors on a sunny windowsill. The cutting doesn’t need direct sunlight, so can be kept in a bright place without direct sun. 
    OK. Thanks for the advice.