Forum home Plants

Ceanothus thyrsiflorus var. repens

snowyysnowyy Posts: 58
Hi
have a ceanothus but after winter it turned brown, not sure if it was the harsh winter we had here in the East Midlands. Removed all the dead wood and there are green stems still on plant as you can see from the pic. Will this regrow? Do you think it was the cold weather that caused it to go brown and die off. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    Highly unlikely.

They are not fully hardy and they are short lived anyway.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • It is dead, I'm afraid. But Ceanothus will really only survive around 7 years on average. They are hardy though so it probably isn't the cold snap--that may have finished off an already ailing/ageing plant.
  • snowyysnowyy Posts: 58
    It is dead, I'm afraid. But Ceanothus will really only survive around 7 years on average. They are hardy though so it probably isn't the cold snap--that may have finished off an already ailing/ageing plant.
    Thanks for that, I only planted it last spring so was just over a year old, normally doesn’t get below -2 in Mansfield but he did have a cold snap where it reached -5 so assumed it was that, best dig it out and replace it
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    The problem is your plant was very small/young, and normally they should survive an average winter here in the UK, but only once they have established in for around 2-3 years. Just in case you do buy another one, keep an eye on it in the winter time. Fleece protect when there is prolonged cold nights and excessive winter heavy downpours. Sometimes the continued wet weather will just drown their small roots.