Forum home Plants

Could anyone help me out with what plants these are?

Hi there I'm an amateur gardener and am looking for a climber plant for over my front door 🚪 could anyone help me with what plant this is in the picture

Kind Regards 

Kim xx 

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,946
    Corkscrew Willow I think.
    Will not do well in such small pots.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,423
    Dead ones that are in seriously too-small pots! Of course they could be something deciduous that was photographed in winter.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • If you want that kind of look you could go for winter jasmine which has dark green stems all year round and tiny pale yellow blossoms in winter. So long as you keep on top of it you can easily train it like that.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,456
    Hello @kimberleyandrew85,
    If you could give a bit more information, it would help with advice  :).
    Which way does your front door face, does it get a lot of sun or more shady ?
    Would you also be planting in pots or are you able to plant straight into the ground and if so do you know what type of soil you have? 
    To be honest, if you can plant straight into reasonable soil it would be better, but if not, go for the largest pot you can.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,856
    I reckon those are cut stems put into the pots for decorative effect. 
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,858
    Hostafan1 said:
    I reckon those are cut stems put into the pots for decorative effect. 
    I think you may be right @Hostafan1 ... I can’t see how any willow (or anything else of any size ) would grow in those pots. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,305
    Might this be an ad for pink doughnuts?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,456
    @B3 it's on the Instagram and Facebook pages, but l'm hoping it's a genuine enquiry  :)
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    @kimberleyandrew85 If your door is south facing, or gets lots of sun for much of the day, I would suggest Jasmine officinale.  It grows very quickly, but you will need to choose large pots or troughs, and be prepared to water almost daily in Summer, and to feed regularly.  It is not self supporting, so you would have to use a trellis or some kind of netting to give it support.

We had one in our previous garden, planted in a trough, and which grow up the wall beside the patio door.  You can see it in this photo, to give you an idea of what it might look like.  It was rampant, put on lots of growth every year.