Forum home Plants

Roses aren't fragrant

Why are the roses that are big in size not quite fragrant?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,024
    Not all roses are fragrant, nothing to do with size.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,321
    It's always disappointing, to see a beautiful rose and find it has no scent. There was a vogue for a while of breeding rose cultivars to have huge blooms and repeat flowering with good disease resistance. All of which makes sense but the fragrance got lost along the way.
    Many of the newer cultivars now have good fragrance as well as large flowers. Still hard to beat the fragrance of a rugosa rose though
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,028
    I think a lot of it is down to your own sense of smell. Some roses are apparently highly scented but I get barely a whiff . Others, I can get a strong scent. I was reading the other day, that sufficient watering can have an effect too
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • OmoriOmori North YorkshirePosts: 1,659
    They can smell more or less strongly at different times of day, as well. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    More when the sun is out
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,532
    Sometimes they are less fragrant when the sun’s out here, depends on how high the temperature is! Too hot and it burns it off. There are lots of strongly scented roses with large blooms, both very old and new varieties. But you can never have everything in one rose, so it depends which characteristics are most important to you. I have some nearly scentless roses because they are great repeat bloom machines and disease free, others, say next to a seating area, I choose for scent and put up with other undesirable traits.
    I think you can't beat the old bourbon
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,532
    Speaking of old Bourbons, @Nanny Beach, two roses I have bought specifically for perfume this year are the Bourbons Madame Isaac Periere (big blooms!) and Souvenir de St. Annes, plus Chartreuse de Parme, a hybrid tea from 1996. 
  • I love Madame Isaac. The best-scented roses I have ever grown were 'Kathleen Harrop' (which found my garden too chilly and had disease problems) and 'The Generous Gardener'. Though they are all so different. 

A large-flowered rose that seems both healthy and amazingly scented is the Hybrid Tea 'Deep Secret'.

Oooh, I can smell them now!!