Forum home Problem solving

Magpies

TheScottishGardenerTheScottishGardener AberdeenshirePosts: 52
I've a pair of magpies teasing out my coco liner from a couple of hanging baskets I have in my garden. When I say teasing, that makes it sound gentle, they're ripping it out and they're making such a mess of the baskets :( I have tried moving them to several different locations but whenever I approach the baskets I always catch them in the act. The baskets are now at a point where I'm probably going to have to replace them but hesitant to do that until I find an actual solution that will ensure they leave them alone in the future.

Any tips or advice? I don't mind them foraging bits and pieces for their nests etc., but they just keep coming back for more and more.

• B3B3 Posts: 16,963
    They'll probably stop after the nesting season. You might as well wait for a bit before you put them out again
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,582
    maybe it's a judgement on hanging baskets ;)
    Devon.
  • TheScottishGardenerTheScottishGardener AberdeenshirePosts: 52
    B3 said:
    They'll probably stop after the nesting season. You might as well wait for a bit before you put them out again
    I know they'll stop eventually, but you know, if I'm gonna have the same issue next year, then what's the point? :)

Is there a solution?
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,630
    I line my baskets with old compost bags.
    I make holes in the bags and plant trailing lobelia in the holes so the liner disappears completely.
    The baskets also don't dry out so quickly either
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 186
    Maybe leave a pile of coco liner on the ground next to the baskets?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,132
    I wired some old coir matting to a fence ... the blackbirds and magpies helped themselves ... great fun to watch.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,227
    2 for joy.
    Too many hands in too many pockets
    Not enough hands on hearts
    Too many ready to call it a day
    Before the day starts
  • TheScottishGardenerTheScottishGardener AberdeenshirePosts: 52
    @Pete.8 and @Dovefromabove these are both great ideas. Do you have pictures to show? Just to give a better idea!

Thanks everyone :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,132
    No photos and in a previous garden ... it was just an offcut of coir matting on the top rail of a fence with a strand of wire wrapped around it. Tying ing it on with string would’ve worked just as well. 
    😊 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,630
    I don't I'm afraid.
    I have masses of photos of plants in my back garden, but the baskets hung on the front of the house and I never thought to take a pic.
    I put a big bit of old compost bag in the basket with the writing on the inside.
    Fill it up with compost then plant in the top area, give it a water, trim off the excess liner and hang it up.
    I'd then make a small slit in the liner with a pair of scissors abut 2" from the top and poke in a trailing lobelia. I usually found about 5 lobelia around the front and sides would be enough.
    In a few weeks the liner is covered.
    Don't forget to jab a few holes around the bottom too for drainage.
    I never poke a hole right at the bottom though - it helps keep a little more moisture in the compost
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.