Forum home Problem solving

Moving house and need to move my Acers

Captain_ChaosCaptain_Chaos Leicestershire, UKPosts: 29
Hi Folks. I've just joined this site, so hope this is the right section to ask this.

We've moved house and are selling the old one currently. I have two acers (approx 4ft tall/wide) that I want to move without killing them. As we don't yet have the garden arranged at the new house and have an extension planned, I am thinking of moving them into pots for a while.  I'm open to any suggestions on how to dig up the trees, how to pot them and anything else that may be helpful.

Thanks in advance. :wink:
Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 4,475
    As soon as possible, plenty of soil from around them,pots, make sure you keep them well watered
  • MolamolaMolamola BelgiumPosts: 31
    Acers are apparently fairly forgiving of being dug up, root pruned and put in pots, although it is better to do this in winter while they are still dormant.

You might find this thread instructional:

https://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/threads/root-prune-how-much-should-be-taken.99968/ 
  • Captain_ChaosCaptain_Chaos Leicestershire, UKPosts: 29
    Thanks both. I know it's not the best time to move them, but it's now or never. One was a wedding present and the other was a moving in gift (17 years ago) from my late parents. Hence not wanting to leave them (or damage them in moving) .  :smile:
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,180
    Be sure to specify to potential buyers that you will be taking them. In the absence of particular information to the contrary, plants that are in the ground in a garden are deemed legally to be part of the premises and therefore included in the sale. So be explicit with you solicitor and the agent that these two trees are not included in the sale
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
    Yeah, thanks. I have mentioned on the form that 'some' plants/trees will be removed. It's another reason I want to move them now before potential buyers see them and think they are included.  I did want to keep my rhubarb, but I think I've left it too late to move it.
  • delskidelski Posts: 183
    Apparently for well established plants, you should dig a trench around them and then backfill with soil which allows for lots of fibrous roots to grow before you dig it up permanently. I don't know if a 4 year old plant counts as "well-established".
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,258
    We have moved mature Acers from the ground to pot and back again.  Dig a square hole when replanting, not a round one, it helps the roots to spread out beyond the planting hole.  Ours have always survived replanting, it's their general fussiness about cold/wind/sun that we find they hate.
    Quick update:  It seems my post was timed perfectly as we accepted an offer on the house last week. The new buyers want to be in before end of June, so we've moved both trees over the Easter weekend. I also made it clear to the agents that they were not included in the house sale and would be moved.

One has been replanted in a circular bed in the front garden, the other is temporarily in soil in a large recycling bag, due to my online order for new pots being cancelled after waiting two weeks. Now to find a big pot at a reasonable price.

PS. I couldn't leave my rhubarb either, so that got moved too.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,797
    See if anyone nearby sells the largest of the Stewart Smithy Pots, they're cheap and long lasting. Even Wickes seems to sell them.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    Thanks for the tip! Will have a look as we have Wickes nearby