Forum home The potting shed

What size pots

Hi
I'm autistic and new to gardening.  I have just bought a red robin to grown in a container. The size of the pot is 11cm.  I don't know what size pot to put it in. In an article I read it says to plant in a pot 45cm diameter, but I've also read about over potting. So I'm not sure what to do.  The reason Im putting it in a container is I have a yard not a garden.

I also have 3 fargesia Murelia that are in 9cm pots basically the same question. What size container should I plant it in.

Thanks

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126
    Hi there and welcome to the forum.
    You are right to be concerned about over-potting. It's a good idea to repot plants into the next size (or two) up from the present pot and that way the plant doesn't have to sit around in a lot of cold, bare compost. This also stops the plant looking totally lost in a container that is far too big for it.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,581
    Alternatively, for the photinia, you could go straight for the 45 cm pot if you have one already but add some annual bedding plants round the edges to cover the soil and reduce weed growth as well as water loss by evaporation.   Sharing the pot like that would stop the photinia being over-potted.

Sorry, can't help with the fargesia as I've never planted them but I believe that one gets huge so be prepared to pot them on quite rapidly into the next size up.  The way to tell they need it is when you see roots coming out of the bottom.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw