Forum home Wildlife gardening

New pond query

ndrusswxqFU3VZndrusswxqFU3VZ Rotherham, South YorkshirePosts: 1
I built a sml/med wildlife pond in my garden last Autumn and so far the only wildlife in it are blood worms and lots of them in their little muddy cocoons. Is this a normal cycle and when can I expect any more visitors?
When I built the pond and put in the various plants, they were very young and so haven't quite had time to grow and get established before winter came. They are starting to come to life now but its such a slow process, I just want everything to be in bloom now. I'm so impatient 😂
Nicky Russell  <3 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,534
    Yes, it's perfectly normal.
    When I set mine up about 4 years ago it was devoid of life for quite a while.
    Then bloodworms, daphnia and plenty of other beasties whizzing around appeared.
    Then newts appeared to eat the beasties etc etc
    Your pond now has some food in it, something will arrive to eat it.
    More patience practise needed I'm afraid.. I'll all happen - in time :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 965
    As the weather warms up you will see more and more signs of life. Our pond which is now in it's 4th year was also made in the autumn.  Nothing much happened until the following spring.  They usually take off in April so it's a question of being patient.
  • robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 456
    Read before that when starting a new pond it is worth adding a bucket full of water from an existing pond to seed the new one with the microscopic and other smaller elements of natural pond ecosystem that will help it develop into a good habitat more quickly. Tried this myself and it seemed to work well with water beetles and water skaters active within a few weeks.
  • I'm afraid you just got to be patient with it in time everything will come all good things come eventually my pond is about for years old and doing really well I started seeing things more each year hope more this year look out for my post soon as I'll post my pond pics and creatures as soon as I can keep with it and you'll soon be sitting in garden watching it im sit in mine and watch me snails and me newts so peaceful so roll on warmer weather