Forum home Plants

Cherry Tree with 2 different blossoms

caz72mecaz72me Posts: 3
I do not know anything at all about gardening and plants, but I love seeing the cherry blossom every spring, so about 3 years ago I bought a cherry tree for my spring time birthday that stated it would not grow too large, possibly a dwarf cherry tree but I really can't remember it's exact name.  It had a maximum grow height listed on the site, and I didn't want anything which would cause issues being close to the house.  Anyway it has grown really well, but I always noticed that the branch on the right looked different to the rest of the tree, this year it's now overtaken the height of the main tree and has white blossom, whereas the main tree has pink.   Bit confused as to what's going on and worried the white blossom part will grow too big, should I have that branch removed completely do you think to be on the safe side? 

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,431
    It's probably a sucker from the rootstock.  Is it coming from below the graft point,  or from below the soil level? I can't see whether your tree is grafted at the base or at the top of the trunk.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • caz72mecaz72me Posts: 3
    Hi jenny, this is a photo of the Root end of it, does this make it easier to tell, the branch on the right is the white blossom? Thanks
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Yes, the one on the right is a sucker from the rootstock, so needs removing.  The graft is circled in blue and the sucker (which you can see starts lower down) needs to be cut off where the red line is using a sharp pruning saw.  If you don't do this, the sucker will quickly take over and the grafted tree will almost certainly die.
    There is a danger that the tree could get a fatal fungal disease called 'silver leaf' if you prune it right now, so in this case I would wait until July and then remove it.  To help the tree recover once pruned, you should remove all grass and weeds from around the base of the trunk to at least a 60cm diameter circle, then mulch the bare soil with compost (tickling-in a handful of fish, blood and bone fertilizer to the soil before you cover it with the compost will also give it a decent feed.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,301
    @JennyJ is right - your pink cherry is grafted onto a different rootstock, and it's this which is growing vigorously from the base.  You need to cut it out ASAP, using loppers as it looks quite thick, or it will take over completely.  Then keep an eye on your tree and remove any more suckers which appear, promptly.

The tree would appreciate some bare soil around its base, really - then you can water it in dry weather, and give it some feed if it seems to need it.  But be careful not to damage its roots when digging up the grass, or it'll produce more suckers...
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,874
    edited March 2021
    Yes, that's growing from below where the graft has taken... it is taking all the sustenance from the roots and will outgrow and swamp your pink tree. 

I would cut it right back in June/July.  You should always prune plums and cherries when the sap is rising so in the earlysummer not the autumn/winter to prevent Silverleaf disease. 

Remove any shoots that come from down there in the future.  When they're small you can rub them out with your thumb.  Just keep an eye on it.

I would also clear all the grass and undergrowth away from a circle around the tree (it's competing with the tree) ... at least 3' in diameter ... then you can give your tree some fertiliser (Fish Blood & Bone is an organic slow acting feed that'll carry on feeding your tree all summer), make sure it's watered well and mulched and it'll grow away well after this setback.  

:) 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Snap, @Dovefromabove  :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,874
    😂 Looks like great minds all think alike  ;)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

And @BobTheGardener...  I thought pruning it now would be ok cos the sap is rising, but you're probably right.   :)
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    @Liriodendron I'm a bit in two (or three :D ) minds  myself and think if it were mine, I'd risk it and take it off now.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • caz72mecaz72me Posts: 3
    I'm really glad I asked 😁 thank you,  I'm going to set a reminder on my calendar now to look at getting everything ready to do this in June / July time.  I'll make some notes now so I don't forget what to do.