Forum home Garden design

Creating privacy in large garden

recently recently moved into a house with a lovely large garden. At the bottom of the garden we are overlooked by houses. There used to be trees there but one of the neighbours asked the previous owner if he could ‘trim’ them and he cut them down to stumps! (The previous owner was an old lady who couldn’t see very well). What can we plant to create privacy and hide the view of these houses? 

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Bumping you up but a photo would really help.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,348
    Is there any room to plant more trees?
    You could build a trellis or a pergola and grow plants up it, not on the fence but a bit into your garden so neighbours can't complain. 
    A photo would help so we could see what sort of fence you have.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • pmr216pmr216 Posts: 5
    Have loads to do it was just full of brambles
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,003
    Crying out for some trees.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
    I agree. We have 2 apple trees and 3 plum trees. But what would be best to screen the back so we are not so overlooked?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,478
    @pmr216, if you look back at my post on Page 95 on the Forkers thread, I posted a picture of my white magnolia stellata (approx 2 metres high?) with a purple leaf cherry behind it, doing a good job of hiding the big detached house opposite. As soon as the blossom is over, pretty reddish purple leaves will hide the house even more. True, it loses its leaves in winter but you still get a tracery of the branches. Max Height will be somewhere around 4-6 metres.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,882
    The everygreen clematis, Armandii and Cirrhosa would be a great screen.
    Yes you would have to build a trellis for them to climb.
    Another shrub that is everygreen and flowers in spring (fragrant) is Azara serrata.
    Struggling to find it Lizzie, but was thinking of an evergreen magnolia. A cherry tree sounds great. I think clematis won’t stop us from being overlooked, I will look up the azara. I want something that grows quite quickly but does not get too big. I think I might need a landscape gardener to give me ideas!
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,812
    pmr216 said:
    I want something that grows quite quickly but does not get too big. 
    Unfortunately those 2 statements are mutually exclusive.  If it grows fast, it will probably get too big, though many plants grow fast early on but then slow down.  Also be careful when you look to select plants. The height and spread is often quoted as in 10 years time. You need to check ultimate size, or you could find yourself battling a monster in  15-20 years time.  
    AB Still learning

• WillowBarkWillowBark Posts: 236
    @pmr216 If you click on @Lizzie27's name, it will take you to her profile. On the right hand side near the top, under Discussions, click on Posts. A few posts down, you will see a couple of entries for a thread called "HELLO FORKERS 🐇 🐣 🐑 March ‘21". Click on that and go to page 95 of the thread, and you can scroll down to see Lizzie's beautiful trees. To be honest, if she hadn't said that there was a detached house behind them, I wouldn't have noticed.