Forum home Plants

Emerging Plant, Any Ideas? Also, Happy Spring and Happy Autumn! 🙂

Good morning all and I hope those in the Northern Hemisphere are enjoying the longer spring days and those in the Southern Hemisphere are enjoying some brilliant autumn colours.

It’s late March and here on the south coast of the U.K. I have something emerging. Last year was my first year of gardening (well, first year of having a garden) and unfortunately I forgot to label a lot of what I had planted. I did plant a couple of cannas but just cut back in winter, covered with bark and left with no TLC. I also have daffodil and tulip bulbs planted in the area seen on the photo, as well as a few ‘variety’ spring bulbs.

Can anybody identify what is emerging in the foreground of this photo, please?

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,537
    Look like Montbretia/Crocosmia to me .Ring any bells?
  • I'm not sure the leaves are pointy enough for Crocosmia. I thought about Iris sibirica, but it doesn't look like that either.
  • Liz.SprLiz.Spr Posts: 31
    Could be Carex pendula.
    I have green thumbs and no aphids on my roses.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,961
    Not Carex, as that is evergreen.
    Does not look like Crocosmia.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,431
    It looks rather like a deciduous agapanthus coming up through what's left of last year's leaves.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • EustaceEustace Posts: 2,215
    Could it be gladioli?
    Oxford. The City of Dreaming Spires.
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils (roses). Taking a bit of liberty with Wordsworth :)

• SueAtooSueAtoo Posts: 376
    We all do it (not labelling things) - it's fun seeing what comes up and you can label them this year.
    East Dorset, new (to me) rather neglected garden.
  • Sorry late reply. Thank you all for your input. 
  • SueAtoo said:
    We all do it (not labelling things) - it's fun seeing what comes up and you can label them this year.
    SueAtoo, you’ll never guess what, as I lifted away the winter bark protection layer, I found a label 😀 for Canna Tropicana Gold / Pretoria. All my dahlias inside, I’ve made sure to label as I go this year 😁