Forum home Plants

Too early to prune?

gardenman91gardenman91 Posts: 429
Evening all, I’m wondering if it’s still to early to prune perennials and shrubs? The nights are still reaching down to 3 degrees Celsius so am a little dubious. As far as I’m aware they’re all hardy apart from perhaps the convolvulus and salvia hot lips

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,877
    A bit of a generalisation. Depends which plants.
    Devon.
  • Robert WestRobert West Posts: 236
    I hope not as I've pruned back everything over the past few weeks! Other than the hotlipsand other woody salvias. I'll wait a bit longer until they're covered in tiny buds low down, then they'll get their annual chop. I take them down from 3ft to 1ft.

There might be other plants best left a while but most things seem to be fine to chop back come March. Anything in particular you're worried about? 
    any shrubs which flower before about June ( eg Rhododendrons )  shouldn't be pruned now. You'll be cutting off the flowering wood
    Devon.
  • gardenman91gardenman91 Posts: 429
    I will list the plants in question :smile:

hypericum ‘magic series’
    aquilegia
    escallonia
    skimmia japonica
    digitalis goldcrest
    photinia little red robin
    choisya ternata
    penstemon stapleford gem (will leave this till April I think)
    hypericum x moseranium Tricolor
    scabiosa
    Salvia hot lips
    hebe rose elegance 
    phygelius salmon leap

Sorry for the essay!
    IMHO the best way to treat Hot lips is to dig it up, get rid of all the soil and lob it onto a bonfire then plant a nicer salvia in its place.  o:)
    Devon.
  • I will list the plants in question :smile:

hypericum ‘magic series’ - chop to second set of growing buds on all good stems to what looks like a good open structure. Cut weak stems off completely.

aquilegia - cut old and frost damaged stuff to ground.

escallonia 

skimmia japonica 

digitalis goldcrest

photinia little red robin - just remove damaged/all tips by about 4-6" to promote red new growth unless shaping in which case also ok

choisya ternata - trim away it will always grow back

penstemon stapleford gem (will leave this till April I think) - remove about half now and back to low new growth when frost's over

hypericum x moseranium Tricolor

scabiosa - chop away

Salvia hot lips - wait for new growth and cut low above it

hebe rose elegance 

phygelius salmon leap

Sorry for the essay!
    Above is what I'd do for the ones I know.

@shane.farrell thank you for the info :smile:

Don’t get me wrong I’d do the exactly the same but wasn’t sure about my timing. I didn’t want to leave it until there’s a lot of new growth romping away only to cut it away, but then again was worried the colder temperatures would damage the new pruned tips.
  • I did most of those jobs last weekend 😃
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,218
    This may be nitpicking, but IMHO you prune trees & shrubs but you do not actually prune perennials, you "cut them back" or give them the "Chelsea chop". See https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=868
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    @Papi Jo yes I know perennials aren’t pruned, just used it as a general term sorry :smile: