Forum home Plants

Bamboo Query

Hi, I have just received a delivery of bamboo from an online garden centre (Phyllostachys Nigra) and a Phormium, the bamboo to me looks awful, virtually every leaf is brown and crispy and the Phormium looks like it has been over watered (yellowing leaves).  Having never bought these plants below though I would be keen to know if this is actually normal for this time of year and will they perk up!  Pictures attached.  Thanks in advance for advice.

• K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    edited March 2021
    Every year my bamboo looks worse than yours, they dont like cold winds so do suffer over winter. Your phormium will get new growth from the centre of the plant so the older leaves can then be removed.

• Robert WestRobert West Posts: 236
    I bought two bamboos a few years ago. One rather expensive large Nigra and another cheap big standard golden bamboo. Golden one is not four plants as it's grown so well and also only gets light damage in winter. Nigra is still one plant and looks dreadful for first 4-5 months of the year. They're obviously much more tender or at least susceptible to wind damage. Will look great come summer though. Just takes that long for it to recover each year. Make sure it's in a sheltered spot if possible. 

In hindsight I'd have stuck to the bog standard ones, although the black stems are nice. 
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,648
    We bought a nigra many years ago and contacted the nursery when we didn't see new growth.
    They were right and told us to give it a chance in its new home.
    It is now a very strong bamboo that we also now need to cut back to stop it taking over the paths.
    Agree the stems are brilliant especially when you cut back the side shoots so that you can really see the lovely black stems.