Forum home Plants

Plant ID

turmericturmeric Posts: 830
Good evening everyone.  Unfortunately I don't have a photo but I wondered if anyone can ID a plant for me.  I cut it back today for a friend.  It had grown to about 3ft, the stems are deep red with ridges up them like bamboo.  The leaves last summer were red with a lighter pink middle and the flowers were a bit like elderflowers if I remember correctly (but I could be wrong on the flowers as I don't pass her garden often).  I want to say physocarpus but I know it isn't that as that's a shrub but maybe the name is similar and that's why I keep thinking physocarpus?  This plant is definitely herbaceous.  The new growth was just appearing this morning, deep red.  Please help with any suggestions so I can start looking them up. It's driving me crazy! Thanks.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    edited March 2021
    just a guess - sambucus nigra Black Lace? one of the cultivated elders

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 2,409
    What sort of shape were the leaves? Maybe an umbellifer? Angelica gigas?
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,937
    Angeliga gigas usually dies after flowering, so unlikely to be coming into growth.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • turmericturmeric Posts: 830
    I think I've just found it, Persicaria microcephala.  Thanks Pete and pitter-patter for your quick responses though. :)
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,417
    edited March 2021
    I was going to suggest Persicaria Red Dragon. Mine are just starting into growth.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • turmericturmeric Posts: 830
    Thanks JennyJ, I agree, Persicaria (probably Red Dragon or similar). Many thanks.