Forum home Garden design

HELP

Hi.

First of all, I have no idea about gardening.

We have this area at the back of our garden which was full of bushes and other bits and pieces. We have now had it all cleared and are left with this (Image).

I have pulled out all the big rocks (shown)and was wondering of anyone could advise on what to do here? I was thinking about having a central circle, using the rocks, and putting a small tree inside that circle? What would be the best type of tree, I am thinking something small that looks really nice. Very much open to ideas.

Also what can I do to make the best out of the rest of the area, I.e nice plants etc. The soil itself is full of little stones and bigger stones so what's the best method to get the soil into the best condition?

Phew! I have no idea but would love to hear any suggestions and help.

Many thanks
Shane 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,858
    Hi Shane and welcome
    I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions here, but it would be helpful to have a bit more info so we know what will or will not survive there.
    Like -
    Where abouts are you?
    How much sun does the area get and which direction it faces?
    What sort of soil do you have - e.g. Clay - free draining etc
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Is that section a sloped bank?  It's difficult to tell from the photo?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Pete.8 said:
    Hi Shane and welcome
    I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions here, but it would be helpful to have a bit more info so we know what will or will not survive there.
    Like -
    Where abouts are you?
    How much sun does the area get and which direction it faces?
    What sort of soil do you have - e.g. Clay - free draining etc
    Thanks Pete.

I am based in Maidenhead, South East, UK.

The whole area gets pretty much sun all over, apart from the very left hand side (as you look at the pic) it faces east (ish) I believe.

Regarding the soil, I really don't know to be honest. All I can say is that it has lots of stones in it. Sorry to be so vague.
  • Is that section a sloped bank?  It's difficult to tell from the photo?
    Yes it is sloped Bob. Probably should've mentioned that! : )

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,290
    edited March 2021
    What didn't you like about the "bushes and other bits and pieces"?
    Were you sure they hadn't been chosen as suitable plants for a steep bank?
  • edited March 2021
    What didn't you like about the "bushes and other bits and pieces"?
    Were you sure they hadn't been chosen as suitable plants for a steep bank?
    Hi there.

It was all a mess to be honest and everything was growing out of control. It didn't look great. Now is an improvement, believe it or not. : )
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,290
    edited March 2021
    I have some steep banks in my garden and it can be quite hard to get the planting /control issues right.
    Pruning or weeding properly can be difficult when you can barely keep your footing, and many of the plants that are good for ground cover and helping stop soil erosion are likely to want to grow more than you really want them to, providing they are happy!
    We'll try not to prescribe the same things again :)
    How big is the area altogether?
  • I have some steep banks in my garden and it can be quite hard to get the planting /control issues right.
    Pruning or weeding properly can be difficult when you can barely keep your footing, and many of the plants that are good for ground cover and helping stop soil erosion are likely to want to grow more than you really want them to, providing they are happy!
    We'll try not to prescribe the same things again :)
    How big is the area altogether?
    Thank you.

I would estimate 20 ft x 4 ft (roughly)
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,858
    To get a general idea of your local soil conditions, there's a DEFRA sponsored site that will help.
    If you click on search and enter your postcode, you'll see some basic info about your soil.
    http://www.landis.org.uk/soilscapes/
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pete.8 said:
    To get a general idea of your local soil conditions, there's a DEFRA sponsored site that will help.
    If you click on search and enter your postcode, you'll see some basic info about your soil.
    http://www.landis.org.uk/soilscapes/
    Thanks Pete.

I have attached some screen shots regarding what is said.