Forum home Plants

What is this rose and how do I prune it

DedekindDedekind Posts: 172
Hi we have this big rose on our garden which we haven't pruned in 2 years -- since we moved in. I have pruned the odd branch now and then but nothing proper.

I have no idea what it is, is it a rambling rose? 

Anyway last spring/summer it was beautiful (see 2nd photo below) but now it looks overgrown and may need some pruning to have same display as last year. 

Which part should I prune/leave? Shape desired is "wall of roses" like the one in the second photo.
Any help is appreciated.

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,643
    edited March 2021
    I've just noticed your post from yesterday...  your rose goes by a French name 'Alberic Barbier', which is a rambling rose..

..it's a bit too complicated to explain how to prune rambling roses, best to look up on youtube for instructions.. but if it was mine, I would not touch it right now, but allow it to bloom in June/July as in your rather nice photo...  then I would cut the whole thing right down to about 1 foot, keeping any new long green shoots that have appeared...  more new growth will appear late summer which will flower next year...

Effectively, starting again with it..
    East Anglia, England
  • DedekindDedekind Posts: 172
    Thank you! That is a very specific name, and googling around the photos seem to match perfectly well :)

For now I have pruned just a bit of a mass of dead wood which is hidden behind the green shoots.
  • InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 568
    Don't worry about dead wood, ramblers like it to grow up. ***** Well done.
    Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
    @Marlorena I am reviving this thread to give a quick update and ask something. The rose has flowered beautifully for the past couple of weeks, really a wall of white flowers. 

One issue is that our neighbours are replacing the fence and so the rose is now unattached to anything and has fallen down to the ground basically, except for the big woody stems at the back. They are not strong enough to support things by themselves though. 

I still have to ask my neighbour if I can attach it to the new fence once it's erected. If not I will put my own trellis panel or something similar. 

Still I am not sure it will be easy to re-attach. Can I hard prune this now? 
    edited June 2021
    @Dedekind
    ... if that was mine, and in your situation, I would cut the whole thing right down.. obviously this means removing an awful lot of top growth and disposing of it but I'd allow for that.. I imagine it looks a mess at the moment..
    ... having done this, any new shoots that arise need to be kept as they will provide flowers next summer... clearly you won't get the display you've had this year, as you just won't have all the regrowth necessary,  but you will get some, and effectively be starting out again with it.. and that way you can keep control and train it against whatever you've got... hopefully a new fence and if you can attach taut wires along the fence, so much the better... 

..  any other option to me is fussing around too much, thinning out bits here and there.. I can't be doing with it, and would just take the whole lot off...
    ..this rose is capable of throwing up a 20 foot cane in autumn [late summer I should say],  after having been cut down... leave about 1 foot of growth above soil..  
    East Anglia, England
    @Marlorena thanks a lot! Very useful advice and I'm still amazed by your knowledge on roses (from other threads as well). 

I'll probably do as you say and cut it down as soon as I have a bit of time :) 

Do you think in a couple of years it can grow back to the current state? 
    @Dedekind
    ..I'd say almost, roses like these re-establish themselves very quickly...  have no fear on that.. but if you feel cutting the whole lot down is too much, then just go halfway with it, or whatever you are comfortable with and find manageable..  I'm more the ruthless sort..
    ..thank you.. 
    East Anglia, England
    So it's been a week since cut down and I don't see any regrowth. Am I too impatient or could it have died?
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,853
    I think a week is not very long and you will have to be patient.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
    Lovely new red shoots have appeared last week by the way :)