Forum home Plants

Sea Holly

CatDouchCatDouch Posts: 438
Hi Everyone 
I’m a fairly inexperienced gardener but am trying to be better!  I planted 10 Sea Holly bare root plants in November and am wondering when they should start to shoot?  No sign of anything yet! I’m hoping that I’m just being impatient, I check about 3 times a day 😀

South Devon 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,735
    it's only mid March. 
    Patience is the hardest lesson to learn
    Devon.
  • CatDouchCatDouch Posts: 438
    Thanks, I just don’t know when they should start shooting, I’m happy to wait but am just wondering when I should expect to see something.
    South Devon 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,735
    In Devon; soon, in Aberdeen ; not so soon ;)
    Devon.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,048
    Not sure if bare roots will be slower to get going but I planted one last Autumn and signs of growth are just starting to appear from the ground again.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,556
    I planted three Eryngiums (yuccifolium) last September, one is coming into growth but the other two have died back and feel concerningly squashy around the crown. I'm hoping there may be some life left in the roots and they'll come back but am concerned the winter wet has done them in.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 86,932
    They’ve got to grow roots before they start making top growth ... I would think they’ll be a while yet. 
    Put the kettle on ☕️  🫖 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.