Forum home Plants

Raised planter on decking - plant ideas

JR44JR44 Posts: 8
Hi,

I am having a decking installed and have put a raised bed against the fence (picture). My current thinking is to keep this section of the garden simple with a single species. I have seen similar I like with a tall grass /bamboo varieties to screen the fence. My other borders will be more cottage garden style. 

This is my first garden so I am struggling to find the right plants and would love some ideas.

I love Chinese gardens and would like bamboo, but understand that could be a bad idea due to the height / growth. Are there any similar plants or shorter varieties? Similarly, I thought Chinese silver grass could work well there. 

Outside of that I don’t know many plants, so any ideas welcome! :)  

• JR44JR44 Posts: 8
    Worth mentioning my garden is north west facing, so this bed is facing south east. 
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    It's difficult to see from your photograph, but your planting bed doesn't look that deep, or lined.  If you don't want it to rot quickly, you'll need to line it on all sides (and the bottom), with a non-permeable plastic, but you will need drainage holes in the plastic at the bottom (and on the bottom of the bed itself).  My experience of growing bamboo is that it is better in the ground than in a planter.

Nandina domestica has bamboo-like qualities, but is much shorter, and less thirsty in its water needs.  You could try grasses as an alternative to Bamboo.  There are numerous varieties of Miscanthus sinensis, and some are very tall.  We have a shorter variety, called Ferner Osten, which is only about 3 feet tall.  Calamagrostis Karl Foerster is another wonderful grass, about a metre and a half tall.  However these grasses are not evergreen, although the foliage does look quite attractive through the Winter.  Knoll Gardens website will give you some great ideas for grasses.

Whatever you plant, the planter is so near to the fence that it will not get as much rain, so you will need to water regularly.
  • JR44JR44 Posts: 8
    It's difficult to see from your photograph, but your planting bed doesn't look that deep, or lined.  If you don't want it to rot quickly, you'll need to line it on all sides (and the bottom), with a non-permeable plastic, but you will need drainage holes in the plastic at the bottom (and on the bottom of the bed itself).  My experience of growing bamboo is that it is better in the ground than in a planter.

Nandina domestica has bamboo-like qualities, but is much shorter, and less thirsty in its water needs.  You could try grasses as an alternative to Bamboo.  There are numerous varieties of Miscanthus sinensis, and some are very tall.  We have a shorter variety, called Ferner Osten, which is only about 3 feet tall.  Calamagrostis Karl Foerster is another wonderful grass, about a metre and a half tall.  However these grasses are not evergreen, although the foliage does look quite attractive through the Winter.  Knoll Gardens website will give you some great ideas for grasses.

Whatever you plant, the planter is so near to the fence that it will not get as much rain, so you will need to water regularly.

Thanks for the comment. Yes bed will be lined - the dirt is just there as it was removed to do the decking. I am going to use it amongst other compost as it has some good rocks for drainage. Bed will be higher as it isn’t quite finished. It goes into the ground and not onto decking. And yes will be regularly watered due to location.

I like the plant suggestions - I guess it’s weighing up greenery all year round vs the grass variety’s. I’ll look into some of the ones you have suggested 

thanks,
    Jordan