Forum home Plants

Hellebores ID and Advice

TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 132
Hi,

I have a few different hellebores in the garden and was hoping to get some IDs and advice. 

#1 - this one I moved in the autumn from another spot and it has looked ugly and sick like this all winter:

I read that hellebores do not like to be moved, but I had no choice as it had to go. Should I just cut it back and hope it does better in time, or should I move it elsewhere? It's in a semi-sheltered spot, not too sunny but not really shady either.

#######

#2 - I know this one is called 'stinking hellebores'. There are lots in the garden and you can see a nice healthy one in the background. However this one is looking sickly. Any ideas why? Should I cut it back or moved it somewhere else?

#######

#3 - this one (ID would be nice) was looking beautiful over the past month or so, but is now looking a bit tatty. Should it now be cut back? I can see new shoots underneath but I'm not 100% sure it's from this plant.

Thanks.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,219
    I'm sorry I cannot name your varieties but I may be able to say something useful, since no-one else has. I grow a lot of hellebores and they have looked awful this year because, just as the flower buds were opening, we had a sustained blast of low temperatures and biting winds. Although tough as old boots, they were badly damaged and the leaves and flowers all show this. With yours, I would cut away any real damage but leave leaves that can feed the plant. Take off flowers as they finish. I would let them rest and recover now and look forward to next year. I have moved hellebores without difficulty or loss.
  • TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 132
    Thanks Posy. I will do as you suggest!
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,290
    No. 3 is probably Hellebore Double Ellen Pink.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver