Forum home Plants

Recommend me a small tree/shrub

2»

• MolamolaMolamola Posts: 105
    @Stevedaylilly I've been considering the Eleagnus Quicksilver for my garden too, after seeing a beautiful photo of someone else's on this forum trained as a tree.  Could I ask - do you ever have issues with it suckering? I've seen this mentioned in a few places selling the plant. 
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,102
    Molamola said:
    @Stevedaylilly I've been considering the Eleagnus Quicksilver for my garden too, after seeing a beautiful photo of someone else's on this forum trained as a tree.  Could I ask - do you ever have issues with it suckering? I've seen this mentioned in a few places selling the plant 

Hi 

Yes, it does have some suckering issues but I normally prune these down 

• MolamolaMolamola Posts: 105
    Thank you, that's helpful to know!  I imagine there are different grades of suckering - I've also considered Rhus Typhina in the past (there is a beautiful one near where I work), which is what alerted me to the issue. 
  • Molamola said:
    @Stevedaylilly I've been considering the Eleagnus Quicksilver for my garden too, after seeing a beautiful photo of someone else's on this forum trained as a tree.  Could I ask - do you ever have issues with it suckering? I've seen this mentioned in a few places selling the plant 

Hi 

Yes, it does have some suckering issues but I normally prune these down 

Molamola said:
    Thank you, that's helpful to know!  I imagine there are different grades of suckering - I've also considered Rhus Typhina in the past (there is a beautiful one near where I work), which is what alerted me to the issue. 

• @Stevedaylilly
    i am also thinking of an elaeagnus quicksilver for my garden & was interested in shaping to a tree form rather than a bush. I wondered if you have saved the picture of it trained as a tree?
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,102
    @Stevedaylilly
    i am also thinking of an elaeagnus quicksilver for my garden & was interested in shaping to a tree form rather than a bush. I wondered if you have saved the picture of it trained as a tree?
    Hi 

it’s approximately 2.50m high at present but it’s a deciduous shrub so no leaves until it start to flourish around mid April 
    I’ll post a photo when it’s leaved up so you can see it in its full glory 😀