Forum home Plants

Ideas and inspiration for a small bed

Hi, hoping to catch a few of you guys before spring makes everyone very busy  :)

I have attached a picture of our existing raised bed, this is approximately 4 x 6 and I would be very grateful of suggestions of how to plant this up. We want it to look good all year round.. Also, would be nice to be able to have plants that will grow over / cover the concrete around the edges..

Many thanks in advance for advice and suggestions!

Best,

Will

• Thinking I perhaps should mention that is is east facing, getting the morning sun and sheltered.

Thanks.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,691
    Hi and welcome.
    One possible plant to include would be creeping thyme. It's evergreen, has beautiful pink flowers in summer, and will tumble over the edge of your raised bed quite happily.
  • WibbleWibble Posts: 89
    I would look at Carex ‘Prairie Fire’ for a bit of height and texture towards the back. Looks good all year too. The plants already in the bed would complement it nicely.

Heuchera closer to the front would soften the edges (it won’t actually creep right over the concrete as such, but should spread nicely and cover a fair bit of it ) Loads of colours to choose from with Heuchera. Just watch out for vine weevil, the little blighters love my heuchera! 
  • AthelasAthelas Posts: 939
    I was about to suggest creeping thyme as well. Here’s how it looks like in summer on my east facing border — they tend to extend about halfway down the edge

Cambridgeshire, UK
  • Thanks guys, I guess the thyme would give off a fragrance too..? Perhaps something we should look to achieve as the area is next to seating..

The heuchera is interesting - so many variations..