Forum home Garden design

Pergolas and Wisteria

The_Wannabe_GardenerThe_Wannabe_Gardener NorthamptonshirePosts: 13
Good morning all! I'm new here and firstly need to admit that I am not a gardener in any sense of the word. So I need to apologise in advance for the many posts I will likely make while I try to design my garden. 

So the garden is a totally blank canvas as it is a new build and it was rather large. We both like the idea of some sort of modern Japanese fusion and our first idea is to install a pergola against the sunny side of the house. Hubby to be is dying to grow Wisteria up it but my darling mum keeps telling us it will destroy the house. If we were to plant the Wsiteria against the posts furthest from the house, would we be OK to grow it there?

Thank you
Britt

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    edited March 2021
    If you Google images of wisteria some are planted against house walls but why not plant by the post if you can. 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
  • The_Wannabe_GardenerThe_Wannabe_Gardener NorthamptonshirePosts: 13
    K67 said:
    Wow that is stunning! Thank you
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,526
    edited March 2021
    It depends how sturdy your pergola is! You can keep it within bounds with twice-yearly pruning (lots of guides out there explaining how and when to do it), but it will still be a weighty beast as it matures and the stems thicken up. If the pergola is wooden, it will need periodic oiling/treating, so how will you do that? 

If you think your pergola is strong enough to take the weight and you will be sitting under the pergola looking out at the garden, it will frame the view and you will see it more if planted on the outside rather than at your back, at least in the early years. Eventually it will cover the whole structure anyway.

Oh and no need to apologise, we were all newbies once and never stop learning, so ask for as much advice as you like!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    Wisterias enhance rather than destroy.  The only problem would be from neglecting the pruning and allowing stray stems to dive under soffits and gutters and roof tiles.

Many are planted directly by house walls yet do not spoil the foundations and they are twiners, not grippers, so won't damage any pointing.  They need a strong support initially but, with age, develop woody trunks and stems that are self-supporting.  I have two inherited mature ones that are self-supporting against walls and have a younger, white one which is already growing woody stems and which I'm about to plant against a wire mesh fence.

If you are building a pergola, by all means plant against its outer edge, rather than against the house, as this will allow the plant to get enough water at its roots.  You can use a combination of posts, beams and tensioned wires to support the stems while they are young and bendy and to train them in the direction you want.

They need a twice yearly pruning regime to encourage flowering buds to form - take stems back to 7 buds per stem in July and then again to 2 buds in February.   Give them a good feed and mulch in February and you'll have a lovely display, getting better over the years.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The_Wannabe_GardenerThe_Wannabe_Gardener NorthamptonshirePosts: 13
    Thank you all for the advice so far. I'm looking forward to getting this all put in and having somewhere nice to sit!