Forum home Plants

Perovskia Blue Spire - cutting back

LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,059
Hi all

Is this new growth on my Perovskia? I had expected new growth to come from the ground not from existing stems and now I'm confused!!

Should I be cutting this back and if so, where to? Do I keep these new buds that are appearing?
I’ve no idea what I’m doing. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,854
    I cut mine to within a couple of cm of last year's growth. If they get too leggy, ( unpruned ) they can split at the base.
    Devon.
  • LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,059
    edited March 2021
    @Hostafan1 so last year was the first year they were in, should I be cutting them down to almost the base then?

ie everything you see there is new growth
  • I just cut mine back (still in pots from the reduced aisle in autumn) to about two buds from the base on each stem. This gives a reserve pair of buds. I gather these will recover well from a hard prune each year.
    Latimer said:
    @Hostafan1 so last year was the first year they were in, should I be cutting them down to almost the base then?

ie everything you see there is new growth
    Yup, as @shane.farrelln says, 
    Devon.
  • Ps I did notice as I was pruning that one of them did have one new shoot from the base so I reckon even if you went too far, like a Buddleia it would shoot away vigorously when it's ready 👍
    Thanks @Hostafan1 and @shane.farrell I'll give it a go this week!

Hi @Hostafan1 and @shane.farrell

I started cutting back the Perovskia today but got a bit confused! When I have a main stem with lots of sub stems, do I cut the main branch back? If so, where to? Is it the same principle, cut back to 3 sub stems on the main branch and cut each of the remaining sub stems back to 3 buds?

Thanks guys
    As a general rule of thumb: if  you can see buds right down to base of a stem, you're pretty safe to cut back hard. 
    Look at your plant, I'd go to about 4 - 6 inches from the ground.
    Devon.
    Thanks @Hostafan1!! 

I think I've done this right!

Will each of those buds grown into a side shoot? Last year was their first year in the ground, planted from 9cm pots, and they seemed a bit "thin", lacking in substance. I'm hoping if all those buds become side shoots they'll bulk up a bit, is that how it works?