Forum home Plants

Plant suggestions for pots on exposed decking

NessaJNessaJ Posts: 5
Hello, our garden is pretty windy and we have a decking area which gets a lot of sun but also gets the wind too. I'd like to add some large pots and probably need to choose the plants carefully. Can anyone suggest some plants that can cope with this exposed site please? 

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 568
    edited March 2021
    No problem. Mediterranean and Californian plants that will cope with drying out occasionally. Depending on what you choose, some may need winter frost protection.
    Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 568
    edited March 2021
    Here are some of my favorites. Lavender, Cistus (Rock Rose);French marigolds, annuals but very easy to grow from seed; Ceanothus ( California Blue Bush), Cosmos sulphureus (as marigolds) , Sages (both culinary and floral varieties); Herbs: thyme, oregano, rosemary, sage, basil ( not hardy). Blue Plumeria (S Africa); Zinnia (CA), also annuals but easy to grow from seed. Laurel ( bay leaf). Geraniums. If you can find a corner with a tiny bit of shade and wind protection, Chilean bell flower, a climber (Lapageria rosea) - may not survive a very hard winter, but utterly spectacular. If you can find the white form, you have hit the jackpot. Make sure you have a a reasonable sized pot, as this will hold more water than a little one.Good luck!
    Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • NessaJNessaJ Posts: 5
    Thanks very much Inglezinho, that's really helpful, lots to choose from. I'll work my way through the list  :)