Forum home Plants

Camellia plant help

Hi there, Im reaching out for a bit of help again please. When I first moved into my house nearly 10 years ago. My mother in law had brought us 2 Camellia's that we brought with us when we moved.

We planted them in the only space we had, as they were very small.
They were really close to each other and under conifers. Whilst they didn't thrive, they flowered and grew slowly.

I finally got round to doing our garden last summer and i moved the one camellia away from the other to give it space. After a few weeks it started to lose its leaves. It lost all of them other than about 8-10 leaves. It's still in the same state now after around 6 months. Once I noticed it was struggling I fed it and watered it frequently but it made no difference. I just assumed that I may have upset it when I moved it and hoped that it would come back to life.

I was wondering if anyone could help me save or improve it. We unfortunately lost the mother in law to covid in January and I know it would really please my wife to keep it, as it was a gift from her mother.

The 2 Camellia's are different. the one i moved has smaller flowers and leaves, this normally flowers later than the other one. I cant remember the different names.

Also could you please give me a few ideas of ground covering evergreen flowering perennials for my borders. I've just planted a couple of pretty purple flowering Campanulas. Hopefully they will do well.

Thanks in advance.

• As you can see the One Camellia is fine, but the other one is more or less bare. Sorry, abuth the photos being the wrong way. For some reason thats how its uploading on to the site.

Thanks again
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,403
    edited March 2021
    On the camellia I think the only thing you can do is wait and hope 🤞🏻.  If its alive it won’t have put on new growth over winter anyway - you’ll have to wait til April time to see if it produces new leaves.  The fact that it has held on to a few leaves is an encouraging sign.
    (edited to say: have just seen the photos and it doesn’t look good - try scraping back a bit of bark on one of the stems with your fingernail - if there is any sign of green that branch is still alive)

If it does start leafing up again then make sure it doesn’t go short of water this spring/summer and give it a feed with something that says its good for ericaceous plants (miraclegro do a special slow release fertiliser, but I’m sure other makes are available).  Good luck 😄

On evergreen flowering ground cover check out Lithodora (small but intense blue flowers in spring, with the odd one or two appearing in autumn and winter too).  Or the creeping phlox - covered with masses of flowers in spring, but keeps its leaves all year round.
  • chicky said:
    On the camellia I think the only thing you can do is wait and hope 🤞🏻.  If its alive it won’t have put on new growth over winter anyway - you’ll have to wait til April time to see if it produces new leaves.  The fact that it has held on to a few leaves is an encouraging sign.
    (edited to say: have just seen the photos and it doesn’t look good - try scraping back a bit of bark on one of the stems with your fingernail - if there is any sign of green that branch is still alive)

If it does start leafing up again then make sure it doesn’t go short of water this spring/summer and give it a feed with something that says its good for ericaceous plants (miraclegro do a special slow release fertiliser, but I’m sure other makes are available).  Good luck 😄

On evergreen flowering ground cover check out Lithodora (small but intense blue flowers in spring, with the odd one or two appearing in autumn and winter too).  Or the creeping phlox - covered with masses of flowers in spring, but keeps its leaves all year round.
    Thank you very much for your reply.

Id had a close look at the Camellia. The only parts that look alive are the the stems with the leafs on. They have a few green buds on too. But I could be wrong.

Ill do what you recommended and wait a couple of months and see if and where there is any new growth. Then maybe cut back the dead, where I can. Hopefully this will encourage more new growth.

Ill have a look for those ground covering plants next time im out. Thats great and they sound perfect.

Thank you again. :)