Forum home Plants

Hardening off seeds

jo.ilottjo.ilott Posts: 6
I have germinated seeds in a heated proper gator indoors. Do I need to harden them off before I move them to the unheated greenhouse? If so how? I have a cold north facing garage window but no spaces on windowsills in the house. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,860
    welcome to the Forum.
    What seeds are they? and how big are they? 
    Can you supply a photo?
    Devon.
  • jo.ilottjo.ilott Posts: 6
    Currently I have dahlias but will be expanding to other flowers, they are very small, only 2 leaves (approx 1cm) 
  • Mary370Mary370 Posts: 2,003
    Yes, you will need to harden them off before you put them in the greenhouse.  Dahlias are very tender, much too early and way too small yet though.
    So into the garage as per my first post is ok?
  • Mary370Mary370 Posts: 2,003
    If there is lots of light.......
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,954
    They need lots of light and a temp of at least 10 degrees when they are that small.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,864
    edited March 2021
    Just two leaves?  The ‘seed leaves’ ... not ‘proper leaves’ yet?
    if so your dahlias are not yet ready to he pricked out. 
    For now turn the heat off the propagator but leave them in the seed tray on a light windowsill until they have at least two proper leaves which will form after the two seed leaves. 
    Then you can prick them out into their own little modules or pots. 
    Keep them indoors on a bright windowsill until the weather is a lot milder ... possibly May ... only then would I start the hardening off process. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I got them from gardeners world mag, it said they were fine to sow now. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,717
    Never mind hardening the m off you need as dove said wait till they have proper leaves and then pot them on to bigger pots every one else has nail
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,864
    jo.ilott said:
    I got them from gardeners world mag, it said they were fine to sow now. 
    Yes ... but you need the right conditions to grow them on. 
    There’s quite a wide ‘window’ of time for sowing tender plants ... the earlier you sow them the more protection they’ll need. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.