Forum home Plants

Action Stations - seed sowing!

didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,552
For some reason seeing those little seedlings coming up always makes my heart skip a beat.  I've been pricking out and sowing more today - no greenhouse so all in a light corner of my kitchen.  I'll have to stop for a bit until the first lot of prickings-out grow a bit and I can gradually harden them off before putting them in the sort of zip up affair I have in a sheltered spot outside.  Show me yours!

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149
    That's one serious indoor greenhouse.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,293
    What a lovely sight @didyw.

I can say “Snap” to your super seven propagator, your little green watering can, and to your habit of dividing seed trays into two halves (I use cut down plant labels, your divisions are green - what do you make them from?)

And also to the heart skipping a beat every time that little tell tale sign of green appears 🌱💚💚💚

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294

I managed to do what my daughter told, me, (first smartphone a week ago)I selected the pics, was told in no uncertain terms they were too bid, so you have some pics anyway.  I have 3 greenhouses, all storing overwintering none hardy stuff. All of conservatory table, kitchen and spare room window sills are full of seedlings, used to be our room as well, but it's a bungalow, low windows and my border collie knocked them off last year, after I had watered them, made a right mess.  She was being nosy watching folk going by.
    Too big, that should be, have no idea how to make them smaller, them so on the desktop
  • Just wanted to share something I have found useful. With the propagator it works fab and I wanted to get a little production line going so I cut down the side of one if those material flower pots - very cheap on amazon £7 for about 100 and use it as a liner for the seed tray 

Then as soon as I see those little shoots appear I give them another day of living in the warmth then carefully take out the liner and seedlings and put in the window. This frees up the propagator for some more seeds.

Sorry upside down but you get the idea!
    I use those material pots for my seedlings as they save space and reduce root disturbance later. Below are chilli plants doing well! 

I loved you set up!

• I have a cute little potting shed that I escape to with a cut of tea and the radio.
    The seeds on the right are cosmos that have now been potted into proper pots straight from the material pots. 

• didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,552
    @chicky - great minds! I divide the little seed trays with a flower stick snapped to size.  I am being ruthless with discarding seedlings as I prick out, as I intend only to have one or two more plants than I can fit in the garden, so sowing fewer.  @Nanny Beach - wow! @clare_grace - haven't even heard of material flower pots - what a brilliant idea.

• LatimerLatimer Latimer, BuckinghamshirePosts: 790

Here is my offering, more to do this evening if I get time, or tomorrow.

My wife's response this morning "I see you've taken over the kids Hornby space!" Oops.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,552
    Just wanted to add - the sweet peas are two to a yoghurt pot.  I punched holes in the bottom of them, then cut bits of cardboard to shape to put down the centre so the roots of each keep to their own half.  First time of trying this so I'll see how it works!  I'll replace the flower sticks with longer ones as they grow as I harden them off.