Forum home Garden design

Where do i start!? Any ideas on designs?

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    What sort of things do you want to include, and  do you have children or pets to take into consideration? 
    Do you want a lawn ,veggie patch, flower beds etc. and possibly something to block out the overlooking houses?
    It looks quite a sunny site, which way does it face ?
    Enough questions for now  :)
  • Hi! Grass is being sown here in the next couple of weeks by gardener thats covering the development. I was thinking of a flower bed along the side of the fence from the patio area upto the top in a wavey pattern not a straight flower bed. And potentially an area of decking at the top of the garden.... im not sure i can do much with privacy as we arent allowed to plant trees higher than 6ft. My mind has gone blank and numb trying to come up with something as i want to be sure and set on an idea before going ahead. We just have 1 small dog thats not much hassle (most of the time) its west facing going on borderline northwest. I need to draw a plan up and go from there i think. Was hoping someone with a similar size and shape of garden might have shown me what they have done. There is a slight slope not major.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273
    How much time , effort and money are you planning on investing in it?
    Devon.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    I would suggest not overthinking it, sometimes it's better to wait and see how it feels once the grass has been done. If it's being sown rather than turf laid that is going to make it problematical in terms of being able to walk on it for several weeks.
    It might be worth marking out your proposed flower bed using a hosepipe or marker spray , be generous when it comes to the size, and also the curves. Remember to look down from your upstairs window (s) to get an idea of the proportions. 
    There are several members on here who have recently done or are in the process of doing new gardens, hopefully they can post some photos to inspire you.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    Loads of ideas on pinterest eg

You need to make a list of features you want - terrace/seating/dining area; aromatic shrubs and perennials, fruit and veg, pond and wildlife plants and features, kids' play area, shed and/or greenhouse and then work out your annual budget and time available and work out a plan from there.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,658
    It won't hurt if they grass the whole area - it's easy enough to lift when you decide exactly where you want flower beds , borders or other features.
    Designs with circles (eg circular lawns)  can work well in an irregularly-shaped garden.
  • alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 342
    Making one of those moody boards is a helpful way to define what you like.  It's amazing how you find yourself drawn to the same kind of styles from looking at photos. 
    Try to get a theme so it looks cohesive and check sizes appropriate for your space as they grow.