Forum home Plants

Veronica

peteSpeteS Posts: 964
Has anyone grown Veronica spicata...I quite like the look of it, but does it have a big enough presence in the border from a flowering point of view. Thanks

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,313
    edited March 2021
    I have several clumps here and there from seed I sowed in 2017. I have Rose Tones (mostly rather dull pink colours tbh) and Blue Bouquet which is a good strong blue.
    I have another taller paler blue one which lasts a lot longer, but it's one I bought and I can't remember the name.
    They do look good, but the flowers don't last for a long time and they don't repeat flower.
    So yes, they do look good for a while, but then die down to a clump of leaves. They also self-seed quite a bit.
    Mine are in a very mixed border, so it's good to see them, but then other plants take over.

The taller pale blue one - 

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,460
    I agree with @Pete.8 - they are a good filler in a border that has other things that flower earlier/later, but they're not really a specimen plant.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
    edited March 2021
    Wow that's lovely and a lot more impressive than the ones I grew from seed.
    I wonder if your plant is sterile so it flowers for longer and repeats.
    Mine flower, set seed and die back.

Billericay - Essex

• peteSpeteS Posts: 964
    @Pete.8, @JennyJ...thanks for that, it will be going into a mixed border. How long does it take for them to bulk up...SGC have a variety called 'Rosa Zwerg' in 9cm pots available you see and I was just wondering how many to buy.

Pete.8...what is that rather magnificent looking large red flower.

@ Songbird-1...can you remember what variety it is.
    It's a dahlia - Arabian Night.
    It's survived there for many years somehow.
    It doesn't really fit in but it's happy there so I'll leave it be.

I'd get 3 plants for each clump in 9cm pots to make a bit of an impact, but each of mine formed a clump about 9" across in a year.
    They're easy to divide too by just slicing through them with a spade in Spring

Billericay - Essex

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,460
    Pete.8 said:
    It's a dahlia - Arabian Night.
    It's survived there for many years somehow.
    It doesn't really fit in but it's happy there so I'll leave it be.

I'd get 3 plants for each clump in 9cm pots to make a bit of an impact, but each of mine formed a clump about 9" across in a year.
    They're easy to divide too by just slicing through them with a spade in Spring
    Interesting about the Dahlia - I have one that was labelled "Arabian Night" and while it's the same colour, it's more fully double and doesn't show the yellow centres. Oh well, I like it anyway.
    Agree about the veronicas - plant a group of small ones and split in a couple of years if they get congested. I don't even always bother digging them up to divide, just chop out a few sections to plant elsewhere (like slices of cake) and throw some compost in the gaps. Same with other clumpy perennials, things like asters and campanulas - unorthodox maybe, lazy definitely, but it seems to work.

Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    @Songbird-1  yours looks like my Veronica  first Love.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

@JennyJI think that Arabian Night has gone rogue. It lives in shade until summer then breaks through. I have tubers from the same plant in big pots and they remain fully double and a much deeper velvety red.

Billericay - Essex

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    Arabian Night is usually a much blacker red.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border