Forum home Plants

Is my hebe dead???

Hi all
Looking for some advice. This hebe (can't remember what type?) is looking very sad after a cold snap. Anything I can do to salvage it or is it a lost cause?
Thanks
Fraser

• borgadrborgadr Posts: 709
    edited March 2021
    Tagging along, as mine has done the same after last month's cold snap (much bigger specimen, in the ground not a pot, and was flowering right up to Christmas).
    I think mine is a Hebe Addenda, and yours certainly looks very similar.

I'm not sure whether to cut anything back/off or just leave it to recover. Hopefully someone will be along soon to help us out.  
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,450
    edited March 2021
    There's one called Andersonii variegata that looks a lot like that. I think I've tried it twice and not got it through a winter, so possibly it's just not a particularly hardy type. That's not very helpful though - I suggest you leave it alone for a while, and see if it starts to make new growth when the weather warms up properly. If it does, then you can cut off the dead bits.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • I have one similar. I am going to cut a couple of inches off each stem and see what happens. Hopefully new growth/buds will form in due course in which case I may cut back hard to a pair of leaves. I took some cuttings as a precaution last summer.
  • Thanks everyone. Might try cutting back a little and see how it goes. I'm in Scotland so it's maybe just not hardy enough for the conditions!
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    They don't like cold and wet. Try to give it some shelter and wait and see. If it survives  protect it next year!
  • SendmesunSendmesun Posts: 63
    I have the same Hebe in Scotland. It looks in a similar state with the snow this year. In bad winters of past I have cut 1/3 rd back to the ground and trimmed the rest of the dead leaves off and it bounces back. I think this one is only semi hardy but it does bounce back (usually). We'll see this year! 
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,331
    Mine looks like that but there are some little shoots further down the stem. Have you any at all?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DedekindDedekind Posts: 172
    Same hebe and same status here! Although mine is on the ground and on a slightly shaded area.. I only planted it last autumn so not looking forward to having it dead!
  • Scratch the surface of the bark with your finger nail. If it is green underneath then it is alive, otherwise it is dead.