Forum home Plants

earlier flowering plants or weed

Hi everybody 
I have this grass like plants popping up everywhere. I didn’t plan it myself so must be self seeded. 
Can anyone help?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,957
    Spring bulbs of some sort ... off you didnt plant any were there any flowers there last spring?  Daffodils, tulips, alliums?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I have a feeling that’s a kind of grass clump,  can you dig up that little shoot on the right of the picture and see if it has a root, if it has it’s probably from that main clump, if it’s a bulb you can plant it back and wait and see.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,877
    I'm going with allium
    Devon.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,468
    Easy test for allium - crush a bit of a leaf and sniff it. If it smells oniony or garlicky, it's an allium of some sort.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Looks like alliums to me - i have got them in my front garden and look identical :)
    Dolce far niente....
  • thanks everyone, do allium self seed or “sleep” for a year? Only moved here last spring and they haven’t been here last year. They are clumps everywhere- at least 20 in the garden....
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,405
    Alliums do self seed, but the seedlings take ages to bulk up - I don’t think they will have got to that size in a year 🤔
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 579
    I was thinking Spanish Bluebells.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,957
    edited March 2021
    I think the growth of the small clump to the right of the first picture looks much more allium-like than anything else. ............ or, having just had a look at mine, possibly hemerocallis?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.