Forum home Garden design

Fire Pits, Pizza Oven and Charcoal BBQs

Please will, so called, Garden Designers on ALL TV programmes stop using Fire Pits, Pizza Ovens etc. in their designs.  They may think it is trendy to include these in their designs, but do they think of the neighbours who may not want smoke blowing into their gardens and spoiling their own enjoyment of their own gardens. It is very selfish not to think about your neighbours air quality and health. Please stop encouraging people to have these in their gardens. Thank you.

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,308
    Not sure who you're actually addressing by posting here...but we're here to be the audience of your soap box moment. I do wish London and its terrible particulate pollution would one day be taken more seriously and ban wood fires and fire pits but apparently not a massive vote winner as yet.   
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933
    I quite enjoy the smell on an evening walk or slight sniffs out evening gardening.  But what used to drive me crazy was my neighbor always decided to burn cardboard, leaves, and branches any time it was sunny.. blowing across my laundry line full of baby clothes and nappies, etc.  If you want to burn, do it in the rain or after sunset.  
    Utah, USA.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,101
    I can't remember a post extolling the virtues of fire pits etc.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Bonfires are always popular here once the sun comes out. My particular dislike is garden lighting. The countryside should be dark at night, we don't need fairy lights, solar lights, paths marked out until after midnight.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,298
    Wind chimes 🤯😱 a particular way to torture your neighbours 😭 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,587
    Loathe wind chimes.  Don't like garden lighting except an outside light that comes on as I go out to pick some herbs or empty a bin so I don't break my neck and can see my way back when I've put the chooks to bed in winter when it gets dark really early.

Currently use candles on the table if we do sit out late and need a bit of light but mostly we like to watch the light fade and change as the stars come out.  No street lights here and the neighbours all have and use their shutters on the house, as do we.

We do have a bonfire now and again as we clear our plot but only when the wind is from the south west so it doesn't blow smalls or smoke to our neighbours to the south and east.  I rather fancy a fire pit but we don't have a suburban garden and it would be small and 50m away from either neighbour.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    We have a rash of new motion sensored security flood lights that come on at 3am (triggered by wind moving bushes). A little light isn't that bad but these ones are affixed to the second floor and could illuminate a football stadium. They are not angled downwards particularly, just outwards. I have no idea why anyone would need lights that dazzle down on the surrounding 30 gardens. I would put a note to the neighbours, but I don't know which numbers they are. I don't suppose they realise the effect they are having on others. We generally don't.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,334
    Wind chimes 🤯😱 a particular way to torture your neighbours 😭 
    I concur 100%
    Devon.
  • I think regular fires in gardens and even household wood burning stoves without filtration are somewhat anti social. As an astronomer I also really dislike any lighting unless being used at the time - I totally defend people's right to enjoy their property day and night but please turn off lights when not in use!!
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,879
    Patio heaters and fire pits are surely environmentally unsound... 
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore