Forum home Plants

Alternatives to Silene Alpestris

jongjong Posts: 15
A couple of years ago we paid for a planting plan for our garden that included Silene Alpestris, but these have not thrived and they haven't survived.  I personally found them a little delicate for my liking.

Does anyone have recommendations of alternative white-flowering plants of a similar size to fit in with our small modern border amongst Geums, Lavender, Silenes and Aliums?

Thank you!

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    What type of soil do you have there? For the Silene not to thrive, could it be due to the soil being too heavy? Geranium Sanguineum 'Album' & Geranium Pyrenaicum 'Summer Snow' would suit. Both enjoy sunny and free draining soils but will also do fine in heavier soils.
  • jongjong Posts: 15
    Hi thanks for the suggestions, I will take a look.  The soil is fairly free draining but not the best quality soil.  Am trying to improve it slowly by incorporating extra organic matter but it's early days and a huge learning experience for me.  Some of the locations are in partial shade and some receive full sun.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    edited March 2021
    Thanks for getting back with the soil type. The Geraniums will do fine in that type of soil. For areas of semi shade, take a look at Horned Violets, Viola Cornuta 'Alba'.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,685
    For sun maybe the white forms of Armeria (Thrift). I have some Armeria 'Ballerina White' and it flowered for a very long time, and seems very resilient. Lychnis coronaria 'Alba' would probably fit in very well, although it is a little bit taller.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
    Thank you once again for the kind suggestions, I will check them all out.  Hopefully will find something that is a bit happier in my garden.  I should have included a photo before, you can just about see the silenes just on the far left and right but sadly lost all of the ones we put in.  Everything else seems to be thriving though.

The Armeria look fun and interesting.  The Horned Violets also look like a good  suggestion.