Forum home Plants

Pathway Plant Ideas

g333g333 Posts: 125
edited March 2021 in Plants
Hi 

I have this raised section (see photo) between my driveway and pathway.  I am looking to put stones down and looking for a decorative evergreen plant that will be be easy to maintain, will not grow quick and fast, will not bush out over onto the pathway or driveway and something that wouldn't grow huge in height, but something that grows more upright than outwards.

I like the look of aloe vera planted in stones, but never had these before so not sure. I've had 
Cordyline before in planters, but over time they can spill out.

Ideally want the same plant in a line, thinking 5/6 of them 

Any ideas?

• g333g333 Posts: 125
    I do like Red Robins, but not sure how easy I could keep these at say under 1m and within that space I have?

Found the attached on google as an idea

They are easy to trim off the ends that may spill over 

• PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    How about Euonymous? Loads of different ones, and they don't grow very fast.
    https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Euonymus-hedge-plants.html
    I had these before (Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald Gaiety' Hedge) could be an option, would they be ok spaced out rather than close forming a hedge though? They were easy to keep and did grow up right rather than out.

I was looking for something else so would be interested in any other ideas

• LG_LG_ Posts: 4,346
    Euonymus 'Green Rocket' is nice, grows upright but can be pruned to bush out a bit too.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    Thanks they look like an option also.

Do these look ok planted spaced out rather than together to form a hedge.  I dont want to create a hedge here, just something that looks nice, decorative, Minimalistic look.

Any thoughts on the Red Robin's?
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    I think the issue of spaced versus close together/hedge-like will occur with any plant, as they will tend to grow and fill out over time. You’ll just need to plant them well apart. Red robin grow quite big so you will have to keep them pruned quite a lot. If you like them, then get them!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    edited March 2021
    I would say most Euonymus I have seen were grown as individual bushes rather than as a hedge, which is less common.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    edited March 2021
    Thanks for the info, these do seem to be of a more upright grower than bush out, but regular trimming will keep the spaced out look.

I do like the Red Robin, I just wasnt sure if pruning them through the year would damage them to keep them from spilling over, and a max height of 1/1.2m, not sure keeping them like this will look good either

I think the Euonymus 'Green Rocket' could be the contender. 

Keep the suggestions coming Thanks everyone 
    I spotted at a new build out on a walk look nice, be told on another post these are Skimmia, would these work in this area.

Looking online couple that are smaller and slow growing

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/85295/skimmia-times-confusa-kew-green-(m)/details

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/93427/skimmia-japonica-fragrans-(m)/details
  • WatsoniaWatsonia Posts: 134
    How about a Hebe? They are evergreen, have lovely flowers and can be quite compact. I have a couple in different location and they are quite hardy. Hebe Veronica is quite popular but there are a lot of different varieties depending on taste. They need hardly any pruning and are very easy to look after.